- 3tablespoons salt
- 1lb uncooked orecchiette (tiny disk) pasta
- 3cups 1/2" marinated bocconcini, drained and marinating liquid reserved
- Olive oil, if necessary
- 1lb red heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 1lb yellow or orange heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/2cup balsamic vinegar
- 3cups basil leaves
- 1 In large stockpot, heat 3 quarts water to boiling. Add 3 tablespoons salt; return to boiling. Add pasta; cook as directed on package. Drain and cool slightly, then toss with 1 cup of the reserved marinating liquid from the bocconcini (if there is less than 1 cup marinating liquid, add enough olive oil to liquid to make 1 cup). Refrigerate to cool completely.
- 2 Place tomatoes on ungreased baking pan with sides, divided by color; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Set aside 15 minutes, then pat dry with paper towels.
- 3 In 1-quart saucepan, heat balsamic vinegar to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until reduced by half. Set aside to cool.
- 4 In 3 1/2-quart trifle dish or large glass bowl, layer as follows: Gently layer half of the pasta, then one-third of the basil leaves, then one layer of all the red tomatoes. Top the tomatoes with the bocconcini, then the rest of the pasta, another one-third of the basil, then the yellow tomatoes. Drizzle with the cooled balsamic vinegar.
- 5 Shred remaining basil, and sprinkle on top.